I am always on the lookout for light coverage beauty balms that I don’t feel guilty about using daily. I like for my skin to breathe and not clog my pores with a thick base when I’m going about my day. BUT. I do enjoy some coverage that evens out the redness on my face and the feeling that I get from knowing that I am ready to bump into anyone that day.
It’s a lesson that my mother has ingrained over and over: wherever you are, whatever you are doing, regardless of your mood, never let yourself go. I still hear her voice in my head saying, comb your hair, groom yourself, match what you are inside with the outside. Then followed by a cautionary tale about looking like someone who looked like she gave up on life. Never give up on life, she would emphasize.
I take this beauty lesson to heart and so I make it a point to begin my day looking ready. An essential part to that routine is a good 5 to 10 minutes of doing my face. For it to work, a base that applies easy is important.
The Beauty Pitch
Weleda has recently released a 5in1 beauty balm that promises to highlight natural beauty. It promises to even out skin tone and keep skin moisturized without clogging the pores. With its natural ingredients, it aims to give the skin an extra dose of care with a soft finish. All of that while allowing it to breathe. Sounds promising, right?
The 5in1 Advantage
With one product it aims to give the skin a delicate tint, mattify it, moisturize, refine the complexion, and strengthen the skin’s own protective function.
The key ingredients are Jojoba Oil, Iris, and Cucumber Extract. Jojoba Oil is easily absorbed by the skin hence not leaving it greasy. It also protects the skin from water loss. Iris is supposed to act as a natural barrier from outside influences (i.e. pollution) and regulates the skin’s moisture. Cucumber provides the skin with long-lasting moisture. (See full ingredients here)
The first few times I used it, I only used my hands and didn’t like the residue left after applying it. The residue looked like small rolls of the product that seem to have come off and didn’t get to the skin.
I tried switching my moisturizing product to see if it adheres better on something else, but it still produced the same result. What finally worked for me was when I used a flat kabuki brush to apply it. It applied evenly with the brush without the crumbly aftermath.
- Light finish. It didn’t leave my skin feeling greasy.
- Mattifies & visibly reduced pores. After application I instantly saw my face looking smoother.
- Fresh smell. Even with the initial difficulty of making the product work, I kept trying because of the smell. I just love how it smells so clean – not the sharp chemical scent that I dislike about some BB/CC creams.
- Crumbly without foundation brush. If you happen to be on a rush and forgot your foundation brush, then you can also forget about using this product. It just won’t adhere to the skin using only the warmth of your hands.
- Skin redness is still very much visible. Even after applying a second layer to hopefully even out the redness that appear on the side of my nose, it only made matters worse because not only is the redness still there but I also have to deal with a patchy and crumbly finish.
- Price. It is on the pricey side at 12,95 for a 30 ml tube. I would have expected to get better application from the price.
Summing it up
I’d be cautious in recommending this product. After having used it for almost a month now, I can say that it works if you don’t have blemishes to conceal and no skin redness to even out. Since it is Weleda’s first foray into the makeup base line, I hope the next release is a better version. I’m just using up the rest of what’s on the tube and then it’s back to the drawing board.
Bis zum nächsten Mal!